InterDrone 2020 Night Flight Workshop
December 16 @ 3:00 pm - 10:30 pm CST| $495 – $595
This hands-on training is provided by Sundance Media Group at InterDrone 2020. It is an excellent opportunity to dive in to using drones as a tool…at NIGHT!
This practical Night UAV flight training course is designed to equip remote pilots with the knowledge, skills and confidence to pilot drones at night safely, efficiently and effectively.
Greater than 70 percent of our flying information comes through the eye and the eye is easily fooled at night. This is compounded by the inexperienced pilot alternating views between a tabled/lighted display and the position of the UAV in the sky. Night flying has a higher accident rate than identical day flying, both in UAV and manned aviation. Why? Depth perception is severely distorted, as is reaction time. There are also visual illusions that need to be recognized and mitigated. This session will provide information that will allow pilots to sidestep these challenges, while properly assessing and managing the risks associated with night flight (as waived per Part 107.29). You’ll also learn the foundation of applying for a COW/COA for night flight from an experienced night-flight pilot.
Theoretical (Classroom) Training (2.5 – 3 hours)
The workshop will begin with a comprehensive theory session classroom style, then we head out to the night flight location for some practical experience. Topics to be covered during the classroom portion:
- FAA rules of night UAV flight (What is a 107.29 waiver?)
- Different types of visual illusions that commonly occur at night
- Autokinesis and night landing Illusions and how to avoid them
- Equipment setup
- Risk Mitigation
- Importance of acclimating your eye for night flight & avoid light contamination
- Foundation of applying for a COW/COA for night flight from an experienced night-flight pilot
After a comprehensive theory session, we will travel to a nearby night flight location for some practical field experience. We’ll present different types of visual illusions that commonly occur at night. In this practical hands-on class, we will discuss visual illusions as well as best practices for night flying. We will cover Autokinesis and Night Landing Illusions and how to avoid them. We will also discuss acclimating your eye for night flight. We will also cover the use of lights to illuminate our subjects and how to avoid “light contamination” in our eyes.
- Practical Flight Training (2.5 – 3 hours) (In the field!) SMG will provide aircraft equipped with required FAA lighting for night flights
- Every attendee will receive:
- A Night UAV Flight Handbook
- A red flashlight
- Post-Class, a certificate of completion*
REGISTRATION COMING SOON!
Should you have any additional questions, please contact the SMG team.